What alli contains
The active substance is orlistat. Each hard capsule contains 60 mg of orlistat.
The other ingredients are:
- Capsule filling: microcrystalline cellulose (E460), sodium starch glycolate, povidone (E1201), sodium laurilsulfate, talc.
- Capsule shell: gelatin, indigo carmine (E132), titanium dioxide (E171), sodium laurilsulfate, sorbitan monolaurate, black ink (shellac, iron oxide black (E172), propylene glycol).
- Capsule band: gelatin, polysorbate 80, indigo carmine (E132).
What alli looks like and contents of the pack
alli capsules have a turquoise cap and body, with a dark blue band round the middle, imprinted with "alli".
alli is available in pack sizes of 42, 60, 84, 90 and 120 capsules. Not all pack sizes may be available in all countries.
A blue carry case (Shuttle) is included in this pack for carrying your daily dose of alli.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer
Marketing Authorisation Holder: Glaxo Group Limited, Glaxo Wellcome House, Berkeley Avenue, Greenford, Middlesex UB6 0NN, United Kingdom.
Manufacturer: Famar, 190 11 Avlona, Greece
Catalent UK Packaging Limited, Sedge Close, Headway, Great Oakley, Corby,Northamptonshire NN18 8HS, United Kingdom.
For any information about this medicine, please contact the local representative of the Marketing Authorisation Holder.
You can also visit your country specific alli website for further information about the alli weight loss programme.
BelgiëBelgiqueBelgien GlaxoSmithKline s.a.n.v. TélTel 32 2656 2900 LuxembourgLuxemburg GlaxoSmithKline s.a.n.v. BelgiqueBelgien TélTel 32 2656 2900 www.alli.be www.alli.be
Te. 359 2 953 10 34 Magyarország GlaxoSmithKline Kft. Consumer Healthcare Tel. 36 1 225 5800 www.alli.bg www.alliprogram.hu Malta GlaxoSmithKline Malta Limited Tel 356 21 238131 eská republika GlaxoSmithKline s.r.o. Tel 420 222 001 111 gsk.czmailgsk.com www.alli.com.mt www.alli.cz
Danmark GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare AS Tlf 45 44 86 86 00 dk.infogsk.com Nederland GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare BV Tel 31 030 693 8780 info.nlchgsk.com
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH Co. KG, Tel 0049 0 180 3 63462554 GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Tlf 47 22 70 22 01 dk.infogsk.com
Österreich GlaxoSmithKline Markenartikel GmbH Tel 0043 0 512 390 11040 Eesti GlaxoSmithKline Eesti OÜ Tel 372 6676 979 estoniagsk.com www.alliprogramm.at www.alli.gsk.ee
Polska GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Sp. z o.o. Tel. 48 022 576 96 00 GlaxoSmithKline A.E.B.E. . 266, 152 32 30 210 68 82 100 www.alli.plwww.alli.gr
España GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare, S.A. Tel 34 902 014 400 www.alli.com.es Portugal GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Produtos para a Saúde e Higiene, Lda. Tel 800201343 LIS.FI-CHgsk.com
France GlaxoSmithKline Santé Grand Public Tél. 33 01 39 17 80 00 www.alli.pt România GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare S.R.L. Tel 40 21 302 8 208
Slovenija GlaxoSmithKline d.o.o. Tel 386 01 280 25 66 Ireland GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ireland Limited Tel 353 01 495 5000 www.alli.siwww.alli.ie
Ísland Icepharma hf. Sími 354 540 8000 Slovenská republika GlaxoSmithKline Slovakia s. r. o. Tel 421 02 48 26 11 11 recepcia.skgsk.com
Italia GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare S.p.A. Tel 39 02 38062020 www.alli.it SuomiFinland GlaxoSmithKline Oy Consumer Healthcare PuhTel 358 010 30 30 100 Finland.tuoteinfogsk.com
.. , .. 24018, 1700 T. 357 22 741 741 Sverige GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Tel 020 363 636 dk.infogsk.com
Latvija GlaxoSmithKline Latvia SIA Tel 371 67312687 lv-epastsgsk.com United Kingdom GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Tel 44 0500 888 878 Freephone customer.relationsgsk.com
GlaxoSmithKline Lietuva UAB
Tel: + 370 5 264 90 00
This leaflet was last approved in
FURTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION
Risk of being overweight
Being overweight will affect your health and increase your risk of developing serious health problems such as:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Certain forms of cancer
- Osteoarthritis Talk to your doctor about your risk of developing these conditions.
Importance of losing weight
Losing weight and maintaining weight loss, for example by improving your diet and increasing your physical activity, can help reduce the risk of serious health problems and help improve your health.
Helpful tips on your diet and your calorie and fat targets while taking alli
alli should be used along with a reduced calorie, lower-fat diet. The capsules work by preventing some of the fat you eat from being absorbed but you can still eat foods from all the main food groups. Although you should focus on the calories and fat that you eat, it is important to eat a balanced diet. You should choose meals which contain a range of different nutrients and learn to eat healthily for the long term.
Understanding the importance of calorie and fat targets
Calories are a measurement of the energy your body needs. They are sometimes called kilocalories or kcal. Energy may also be measured in kilojoules, which you may also see on food labels.
- The calorie target is the maximum number of calories you will eat each day. See the chart further on in this section.
- Your fat gram target is the maximum number of grams of fat you will eat in each meal. The fat gram target chart follows the information below on setting your calorie target.
- Controlling your fat target is essential because of the way the capsules work. Taking alli means your body will pass more fat through, and therefore may struggle to cope with eating as much fat as before. So by meeting your fat target, you will maximise weight loss results while minimising the risk of diet-related treatment effects.
- You should aim to lose weight gradually and steadily. Losing around 0.5 kg (1 lb) per week is ideal.
How to set your calorie target
The following table has been worked out so that it gives you a calorie target that is about 500 calories fewer per day than your body needs to maintain your current weight. That adds up to 3500 fewer calories per week, about the number of calories in 0.5 kg (1 lb) of fat.
Your calorie target alone should allow you to lose weight at a gradual, steady pace of about 0.5 kg (1 lb) per week, without feeling frustrated or deprived.
Eating fewer than 1200 calories per day is not recommended.
You will need to know your activity level to set your calorie targets. The more active you are, the higher your calorie target.
- Low activity means you do little or no walking, climbing stairs, gardening, or other physical activity on a daily basis.
- Moderate activity means you burn around 150 calories per day in physical activity, for example, walking three kilometres (2 miles), gardening for 30 to 45 minutes, or running two kilometres (1.25 miles) in 15 minutes. Choose the level that most closely fits your daily routine. If you are unsure which level you are, choose Low activity.
Women Low activity Below 68.1 kg Below 10 st 10 lb 1200 calories 68.1 kg to 74.7 kg 10 st 10 lb to 11 st 11 lb 1400 calories 74.8 kg to 83.9 kg 11 st 12 lb to 13 st 2 lb 1600 calories 84.0 kg and over 13 st 3 lb and over 1800 calories Below 61.2 kg Below 9 st 9 lb 1400 calories Moderate activity 61.3 kg to 65.7 kg 9 st 9 lb to 10 st 4 lb 1600 calories 65.8 kg and over 10 st 5 lb and over 1800 calories
Men Low activity Below 65.7 kg Below 10 st 4 lb 1400 calories 65.8 kg to 70.2 kg 10 st 5 lb to 11 st 1600 calories 70.3 kg and over 11 st 1 lb and over 1800 calories 59.0 kg and over 9 st 4 lb and over 1800 calories Moderate activity
How to set your fat target
The following chart shows how to set your fat target based on the amount of calories you are allowed per day. You should plan to have three meals per day. If you have set a target of 1400 calories per day, for example, the maximum amount of fat allowed per meal would be 15 g. To stay within your daily allowance for fat, snacks should contain no more than 3 g of fat.
Amount of calories you can eat per day Maximum amount of fat allowed per meal Maximum amount of fat allowed from snacks per day 1200 12 g 3 g 1400 15 g 3 g 1600 17 g 3 g 1800 19 g 3 g
- Stick to realistic calorie and fat targets as this is a good way of maintaining your weight loss achievements in the long-term.
- Write down what you eat in a food diary, including the calorie and fat content.
- Try to be more physically active before you start taking the capsules. Physical activity is an important part of a weight loss programme. Remember to check with your doctor first if you have not exercised before.
- Continue to be active while taking alli and after you stop taking it.
The alli weight loss programme combines the capsules with an eating plan and a wide range of resources to help you understand how to eat a reduced calorie, lower-fat diet and guidelines for becoming more active.
The alli website (please refer to your country specific website included in the list of local representatives above) provides you with a range of interactive tools, lower-fat recipes, physical activity tips and other useful information to help you lead a healthy life and to support you in meeting your weight loss goals, together with details of a weight loss programme which is individually tailored for you.