What is it and how is it used?
FABLYN is used to treat osteoporosis in women after the menopause (postmenopausal osteoporosis)who are likely to break bones, especially in the spine, hips and wrists. It belongs to a group ofmedicines called Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERM).
In women with postmenopausal osteoporosis, FABLYN reduces the risk of both fractures of the spine(vertebral fractures) and non-spine fractures (non-vertebral fractures), but not hip fractures.
What do you have to consider before using it?
Do not take FABLYN
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to lasofoxifene or any of the other ingredients of FABLYN.
- if you currently have or previously had blood clots, for example in your veins, lungs or eyes(deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism or retinal vein thrombosis).
- if you have any vaginal bleeding. This must be investigated by your doctor before startingtreatment.
- if you could still become pregnant.
- if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Take special care with FABLYN
- if you are immobile for some time, such as, needing to be admitted to a hospital or havingto stay in bed while recovering from an operation or an illness, as these may increase yourrisk of blood clots (deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism or retinal vein thrombosis). Your doctor may recommend that you stop treatment at least 3 weeks prior to thistime. Treatment with FABLYN can be restarted as soon as you regain your mobility and inconsultation with your doctor.
- if you are taking FABLYN, you should walk around or exercise your legs and feet at regularintervals when traveling long distances. This is because sitting for a long time in the sameposition may prevent good blood circulation and may increase your risk of blood clots.
It is unlikely that FABLYN will cause vaginal bleeding. So any vaginal bleeding while you takeFABLYN is unexpected. You should have this investigated by your doctor.
The following are reasons why this medicine may not be suitable for you. You should talk to yourdoctor before starting to take FABLYN:
- if you have or have had breast cancer.
- if you experience any unexplained breast abnormality.
- if you have severe liver disease.
- if you have severe kidney disease.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines,including medicines obtained without a prescription. If you are taking estrogen replacement therapy(ERT) or hormone replacement therapy (HRT), FABLYN may not be suitable for you.
Taking FABLYN with food and drink
FABLYN can be taken with or without food and drink.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
FABLYN is only for women after the menopause and must not be taken by women who can stillbecome pregnant.
Do not take FABLYN if you are pregnant or breast-feeding as it might be excreted in mother?s milk.
Driving and using machines
No studies on the effects on the ability to drive and use machines have been performed.
FABLYN has no known influence on the ability to drive and use machines.
Important information about some of the ingredients of FABLYN
FABLYN contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to somesugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
How is it used?
Always take FABLYN exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor orpharmacist if you are not sure. The usual dose is one tablet each day.
Swallow the tablet whole. You may take it with or without food.
If you wish, you may take it with water or another beverage of choice.
Your doctor may also advise you to take Calcium and Vitamin D supplements while you are treatedwith FABLYN if your daily intakes are not considered sufficient.
If you take more FABLYN than you should
If you take more tablets than you should, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
If you forget to take FABLYN
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet. Take your next tablet and continue asbefore.
If you stop taking FABLYN
You should talk to your doctor before stopping FABLYN.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
What are possible side effects?
Like all medicines, FABLYN can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Most of the side effects that occurred during studies were mild.
These side effects may occur with certain frequencies, which are defined as follows:
- Very common: affects more than 1 user in 10
- Common: affects 1 to 10 users in 100
- Uncommon: affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000
- Rare: affects 1 to 10 users in 10,000
- Very rare: affects less than 1 user in 10,000
- Not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
Very common side effects:
- Muscle cramps
Common side effects:
- Hot flush
- Pressure in the lower abdomen
- Vaginal discharge
- Excessive sweating
Uncommon side effects:
- Urinary tract infection, burning on urination, urgent need to urinate, urinary incontinence
- Abdominal pain or pressure, pain in the back, neck, joints or chest
- Tiredness, abnormal or excessive bleeding commonly from the nose
- Diabetes (typical symptoms are excessive thirst, frequent urination)
- Burning sensation, dizziness, numbness, memory impairment, impaired or partial loss ofmovement of a limb, headache, restless legs syndrome (an irresistible urge to move legs to stopan uncomfortable or odd sensations)
- Abnormal or irregular beating of the heart, increased heart rate
- Swelling of hands, arms, feet or legs, limb pain
- Cough, difficulty breathing, stuffy nose, runny nose
- Dry mouth, flatulence (excessive amount of air or gases in the stomach or the intestine),stomach ache
- Dry eye, hair loss, skin rash, night sweats, itching, feeling hot, weight gain
- Breast stiffening, breast pain, vaginal bleeding, genital itching
Rare side effects:
- Infection in the ear, eye, respiratory tract or skin, diarrhea, blood in stools
- Change in appetite
- Abnormal dreams, mood swings
- Dizziness, altered sense of taste, seizures, migraine, weakness of arms or legs, sciatica (pain feltin the lower back, buttock, and/or various parts of the leg and foot; typically on one side of thebody)
- Impaired vision, pain in eyes, itchy eyes, swollen eyelids, redness of the eyes, ear pain
- Lip lesions, change of bowel habits, difficulty swallowing, mouth ulcer, heart burn, mouth pain,anal pain
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), changes in blood tests of liver function
- Dry skin, unusual hair texture, nail disorder, skin rash, skin darkening, altered shape of fingers,skin lesion
- Painful urination, blood in urine
- Breast discharge, breast lump, vaginal pain, varicose vein
- Decreased pulse in feet, bruising
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, pleasetell your doctor or pharmacist.
How should it be stored?
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use FABLYN after the expiry date which is stated on the blister or bottle label and on thecarton after ?EXP:?. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
This medicine does not require any special storage conditions.
What FABLYN contains
- The active substance is lasofoxifene. Each film-coated tablet contains lasofoxifene tartrate,equivalent to 500 micrograms of lasofoxifene.
- The other ingredients are lactose anhydrous; microcrystalline cellulose; croscarmellose sodium;silica, colloidal anhydrous; magnesium stearate; sunset yellow FCF aluminium lake (E110);hypromellose; lactose monohydrate; titanium dioxide (E171) and triacetin.
What FABLYN looks like and contents of the pack
FABLYN tablets are triangular, peach coloured, film-coated tablets marked with ?Pfizer? on one sideand ?OPR 05? on the other.
The tablets are provided in blister packs containing 7, 28 or 30 tablets, and in bottle packs containing90 tablets. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer
The Marketing Authorisation Holder is Pfizer Limited, Ramsgate Road, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9NJ,United Kingdom.
The Manufacturer is Pfizer Manufacturing Deutschland GmbH, Heinrich Mack Strasse 35, 89257Illertissen, Germany.
For any information about this medicine, please contact the local representative of the MarketingAuthorisation Holder:
BelgiëBelgiqueBelgienPfizer S.A.N.V.TélTel 32 02 554 62 11 , . 359 2 970 4333eská republikaPfizer s.r.o.Tel 420-283-004-111DanmarkPfizer ApSTlf 45 44 20 11 00DeutschlandPfizer Pharma GmbHTel 49 0 30 55 0055-51000EestiPfizer Luxembourg SARL Eesti filiaalTel 372 6 405 328Pfizer Hellas A.E. 30 210 6785 800EspañaPfizer S.A.Tel 34 91 490 99 00France LuxembourgLuxemburgPfizer S.A.Tél 32 02 554 62 11MagyarországPfizer Kft.Tel. 36 1 488 37 00MaltaV.J. Salomone Pharma Ltd.Tel 356 21 22 01 74NederlandPfizer bvTel 31 010 406 43 01NorgePfizer ASTlf 47 67 52 61 00ÖsterreichPfizer Corporation Austria Ges.m.b.H.Tel 43 01 521 15-0PolskaPfizer Polska Sp. z o.o.Tel. 48 22 335 61 00PortugalLaboratórios Pfizer, Lda.Tel 351 214 235 500Români
PfizerTél 33 01 58 07 34 40IrelandPfizer Healthcare IrelandTel 1800 633 363Pfizer România S.R.LTel 40 021 207 28 00SlovenijaPfizer Luxembourg SARLPfizer, podrunica za svetovanje s podrojafarmacevtske dejavnosti, LjubljanaTel 386 01 52 11 400Slovenská republikaPfizer Luxembourg SARL, organizaná zlokaTel 421-2-3355 5500SuomiFinlandPfizer OyPuhTel 35809 43 00 40SverigePfizer ABTel 46 08 5505 2000United KingdomPfizer LimitedTel 44 01737 331111ÍslandVistor hf.,Sími 354 535 7000ItaliaPfizer Italia S.r.l.Tel 39 06 33 18 21GEO. PAVLIDES ARAOUZOS LTD, 35722818087LatvijaPfizer Luxembourg SARLFilile LatvijTel 371 670 35 775LietuvaPfizer Luxembourg SARLfilialas LietuvojeTel. 3705 251400