Do not takeClopidogrel Winthrop:
If you are allergic hypersensitive to clopidogrel or any of the other ingredients of Clopidogrel Winthrop If you have a medical condition that is currently causing bleeding such as a stomach ulcer or bleeding within the brain If you suffer from severe liver disease.
If you think any of these apply to you, or if you are in any doubt at all, consult your doctor before taking Clopidogrel Winthrop.
Take special care with Clopidogrel Winthrop:
If any of the situations mentioned below apply to you, you should tell your doctor before taking Clopidogrel Winthrop:
- if you have a risk of bleeding such as
- a medical condition that puts you at risk of internal bleeding (such as a stomach ulcer).
- a blood disorder that makes you prone to internal bleeding (bleeding inside any tissues, organs or joints of your body).
- a recent serious injury.
- a recent surgery (including dental).
- a planned surgery (including dental) in the next seven days. - if you have had a clot in an artery of your brain (ischaemic stroke) which occurred within the last seven days. - if you have kidney or liver disease.
While you are taking Clopidogrel Winthrop:
- You should tell your doctor if a surgery (including dental) is planned.
- You should also tell your doctor immediately if you develop a medical condition (also known as Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura or TTP) that includes fever and bruising under the skin that may appear as red pinpoint dots, with or without unexplained extreme tiredness, confusion, yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice) (see section 4 ?POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?). - If you cut or injure yourself, it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. This is linked to the way your medicine works as it prevents the ability of blood clots to form. For minor cuts and injuries e.g., cutting yourself, shaving, this is usually of no concern. However, if you are concerned by your bleeding, you should contact your doctor straightaway (see section 4 ?POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?).
- Your doctor may order blood tests.
Clopidogrel Winthrop is not intended for use in children or adolescents.
Taking other medicines:
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Some other medicines may influence the use of Clopidogrel Winthrop or vice versa.
You should specifically tell your doctor if you take
- oral anticoagulants, medicines used to reduce blood clotting,
- a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, usually used to treat painful and/or inflammatory conditions of muscle or joints,
- heparin or any other injectable medicine used to reduce blood clotting,
- omeprazole, esomeprazole or cimetidine, medicines to treat upset stomach,
- fluconazole, voriconazole, ciprofloxacin, or chloramphenicol, medicines to treat bacterial and fungal infections,
- fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, or moclobemide, medicines to treat depression,
- carbamazepine, or oxcarbazepine, medicines to treat some forms of epilepsy,
- ticlopidine, other antiplatelet agent.
If you have experienced severe chest pain (unstable angina or heart attack), you may be prescribed Clopidogrel Winthrop in combination with acetylsalicylic acid, a substance present in many medicines used to relieve pain and lower fever. An occasional use of acetylsalicylic acid (no more than 1,000 mg in any 24 hour period) should generally not cause a problem, but prolonged use in other circumstances should be discussed with your doctor.
Taking Clopidogrel Winthrop with food and drink
Clopidogrel Winthrop may be taken with or without food.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
It is preferable not to take this product during pregnancy.
If you are pregnant or suspect that you are pregnant, you should tell your doctor or your pharmacist before taking Clopidogrel Winthrop. If you become pregnant while taking Clopidogrel Winthrop, consult your doctor immediately as it is recommended not to take clopidogrel while you are pregnant.
While taking Clopidogrel Winthrop, consult your doctor about the breast-feeding of a baby. You should not breastfeed while taking this medicine.
If you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Driving and using machines:
Clopidogrel Winthrop is unlikely to affect your ability to drive or to use machines.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Clopidogrel Winthrop: Clopidogrel Winthrop contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars (e.g. lactose), contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
Clopidogrel Winthrop also contains hydrogenated castor oil which may cause stomach upset or diarrhoea.