Iscover belongs to a group of medicines called antiplatelet medicinal products. Platelets are very small structures in the blood which clump together during blood clotting. By preventing this clumping, antiplatelet medicinal products reduce the chances of blood clots forming (a process called thrombosis).
Iscover is taken to prevent blood clots (thrombi) forming in hardened blood vessels (arteries), a process known as atherothrombosis, which can lead to atherothrombotic events (such as stroke, heart attack, or death).
You have been prescribed Iscover to help prevent blood clots and reduce the risk of these severe events because:
- You have a condition of hardening of arteries (also known as atherosclerosis), and
- You have previously experienced a heart attack, stroke or have a condition known as peripheral arterial disease, or
- You have experienced a severe type of chest pain known as ?unstable angina? or ?myocardial infarction? (heart attack). For the treatment of this condition your doctor may have placed a stent in the blocked or narrowed artery to restore effective blood flow. You should also be given acetylsalicylic acid (a substance present in many medicines used to relieve pain and lower fever as well as to prevent blood clotting) by your doctor.
- You have an irregular heartbeat, a condition called ?atrial fibrillation?, and you cannot take medicines known as ?oral anticoagulants? (vitamin K antagonists) which prevent new clots from forming and prevent existing clots from growing. You should have been told that ?oral anticoagulants? are more effective than acetylsalicylic acid or the combined use of Iscover and acetylsalicylic acid for this condition. Your doctor should have prescribed Iscover plus acetylsalicylic acid if you cannot take ?oral anticoagulants? and you do not have a risk of major bleeding.
|Table of Contents|
|What do you have to consider before using it?|
|How is it used?|
|What are possible side effects?|
|How should it be stored?|
Do not take Iscover:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to clopidogrel or any of the other ingredients of Iscover;
- If you have a medical condition that is currently causing bleeding such as a stomach ulcer or bleeding within the brain;
- If you suffer from severe liver disease.
If you think any of these apply to you, or if you are in any doubt at all, consult your doctor before taking Iscover.
Take special care with Iscover:
If any of the situations mentioned below apply to you, you should tell your doctor before taking Iscover:
- if you have a risk of bleeding such as
- a medical condition that puts you at risk of internal bleeding (such as a stomach ulcer).
- a blood disorder that makes you prone to internal bleeding (bleeding inside any tissues, organs or joints of your body).
- a recent serious injury.
- a recent surgery (including dental).
- a planned surgery (including dental) in the next seven days.
- if you have had a clot in an artery of your brain (ischaemic stroke) which occurred within the last seven days.
- if you have kidney or liver disease.
While you are taking Iscover:
- You should tell your doctor if a surgery (including dental) is planned.
- You should also tell your doctor immediately if you develop a medical condition (also known as Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura or TTP) that includes fever and bruising under the skin that may appear as red pinpoint dots, with or without unexplained extreme tiredness, confusion, yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice) (see section 4 ?POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?).
- If you cut or injure yourself, it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. This is linked to the way your medicine works as it prevents the ability of blood clots to form. For minor cuts and injuries e.g., cutting yourself, shaving, this is usually of no concern. However, if you are concerned by your bleeding, you should contact your doctor straightaway (see section 4 ?POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?).
- Your doctor may order blood tests.
Iscover is not intended for use in children or adolescents.
Taking other medicines:
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Some other medicines may influence the use of Iscover or vice versa.
You should specifically tell your doctor if you take
- oral anticoagulants, medicines used to reduce blood clotting,
- a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, usually used to treat painful and/or inflammatory conditions of muscle or joints,
- heparin or any other injectable medicine used to reduce blood clotting,
- omeprazole, esomeprazole or cimetidine, medicines to treat upset stomach,
- fluconazole, voriconazole, ciprofloxacin, or chloramphenicol, medicines to treat bacterial and fungal infections,
- fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, or moclobemide, medicines to treat depression,
- carbamazepine, or oxcarbazepine, medicines to treat some forms of epilepsy,
- ticlopidine, other antiplatelet agent.
If you have experienced severe chest pain (unstable angina or heart attack), you may be prescribed Iscover in combination with acetylsalicylic acid, a substance present in many medicines used to relieve pain and lower fever. An occasional use of acetylsalicylic acid (no more than 1,000 mg in any 24 hour period) should generally not cause a problem, but prolonged use in other circumstances should be discussed with your doctor.
Taking Iscover with food and drink
Iscover may be taken with or without food.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
It is preferable not to take this product during pregnancy.
If you are pregnant or suspect that you are pregnant, you should tell your doctor or your pharmacist before taking Iscover. If you become pregnant while taking Iscover, consult your doctor immediately as it is recommended not to take clopidogrel while you are pregnant.
While taking Iscover, consult your doctor about the breast-feeding of a baby.
You should not breastfeed while taking this medicine.
If you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Driving and using machines:
Iscover is unlikely to affect your ability to drive or to use machines.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Iscover:
Iscover contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars (e.g. lactose), contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
Iscover also contains hydrogenated castor oil which may cause stomach upset or diarrhoea.
Always take Iscover exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
If you have experienced severe chest pain (unstable angina or heart attack), your doctor may give you 300 mg of Iscover (1 tablet of 300 mg or 4 tablets of 75 mg) once at the start of treatment. Then, the usual dose is one 75 mg tablet of Iscover per day to be taken orally with or without food, and at the same time each day.
You should take Iscover for as long as your doctor continues to prescribe it.
If you take more Iscover than you should:
Contact your doctor or the nearest hospital emergency department because of the increased risk of bleeding.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Like all medicines, Iscover can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The frequency of possible side effects listed below is defined using the following convention:
- very common (affects more than 1 user in 10)
- common (affects 1 to 10 users in 100)
- uncommon (affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000)
- rare (affects 1 to 10 users in 10,000)
- very rare (affects less than 1 user in 10,000)
- not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience:
- fever, signs of infection or extreme tiredness. These may be due to rare decrease of some blood cells.
- signs of liver problems such as yellowing of the skin and/or the eyes (jaundice), whether or not associated with bleeding which appears under the skin as red pinpoint dots, and/or confusion (see section 2 ?Take special care with Iscover?).
- swelling in the mouth or skin disorders such as rashes and itching, blisters of the skin. These may be the signs of an allergic reaction.
The most common side effectreported with Iscover is bleeding. Bleeding may occur as bleeding in the stomach or bowels, bruising, haematoma (unusual bleeding or bruising under the skin), nose bleed, blood in the urine. In a small number of cases, bleeding in the eye, inside the head, the lung or the joints has also been reported.
If you experience prolonged bleeding when taking Iscover
If you cut or injure yourself, it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. This is linked to the way your medicine works as it prevents the ability of blood clots to form. For minor cuts and injuries e.g., cutting yourself, shaving, this is usually of no concern. However, if you are concerned by your bleeding, you should contact your doctor straightaway (see section 2 ?Take special care with Iscover?).
Other side effects reported with Iscover are:
Common side effects: Diarrhoea, abdominal pain, indigestion or heartburn.
Uncommon side effects: Headache, stomach ulcer, vomiting, nausea, constipation, excessive gas in stomach or intestines, rashes, itching, dizziness, sensation of tingling and numbness.
Rare side effect: Vertigo.
Very rare side effects: Jaundice; severe abdominal pain with or without back pain; fever, breathing difficulties sometimes associated with cough; generalised allergic reactions; swelling in the mouth; blisters of the skin; skin allergy; inflammation of the mouth (stomatitis); decrease in blood pressure; confusion; hallucinations; joint pain; muscular pain; changes in the way things taste.
In addition, your doctor may identify changes in your blood or urine test results.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use Iscover after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and on the blister, after EXP. This medicinal product does not require any special storage conditions.
Do not use Iscover if you notice any visible sign of deterioration.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
What Iscover contains
The active substance is clopidogrel. Each tablet contains 300 mg of clopidogrel (as hydrogen sulphate).
The other ingredients are:
- Tablet core: mannitol (E421), hydrogenated castor oil, microcrystalline cellulose, macrogol 6000 and low-substituted hydroxypropylcellulose
- Tablet coating: lactose monohydrate (milk sugar), hypromellose (E464), triacetin (E1518), red iron oxide (E172) and titanium dioxide (E171),
- Polishing agent: carnauba wax.
What Iscover looks like and contents of the pack
Iscover 300-mg film-coated tablets are oblong, pink, engraved on one side with the number ?300? and on the other side with the number ?1332?. Iscover is supplied in cardboard cartons containing 4x1, 10x1, 30x1 and 100x1 tablets in all aluminium perforated unit-dose blisters. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer:
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharma EEIG
Uxbridge Business Park
Uxbridge UB8 1DH
Sanofi Winthrop Industrie
1, rue de la Vierge, Ambarès & Lagrave, F-33565 Carbon Blanc cedex, France
For any information about this medicine, please contact the local representative of the Marketing Authorisation Holder:
BelgiqueBelgiëBelgien BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB BELGIUM S.A.N.V. TélTel 32 2 352 74 60 LuxembourgLuxemburg BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB BELGIUM S.A.N.V. TélTel 32 2 352 74 60
BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB GYÓGYSZERKERESKEDELMI KFT. Te. 359 800 12 400 Magyarország BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB GYÓGYSZERKERESKEDELMI KFT. Tel. 36 1 301 9700
eská republika BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB SPOL. S R.O. Tel 420 221 016 111 Malta BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB S.R.L. Tel 39 06 50 39 61
Danmark BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB DENMARK Tlf 45 45 93 05 06 Nederland BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB BV Tel 31 34 857 42 22
Deutschland BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB GMBH CO. KGAA Tel 49 89 121 42-0 Norge BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB NORWAY LTD Tlf 47 67 55 53 50
Österreich BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB GESMBH Tel 43 1 60 14 30 Eesti BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB GYÓGYSZERKERESKEDELMI KFT Tel 372 640 1301
BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB A.E. 30 210 6074300 Polska BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB POLSKA SP. Z O.O. Tel. 48 22 5796666
España BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB, S.A. Tel 34 91 456 53 00 Portugal BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB FARMACÊUTICA PORTUGUESA, S.A. Tel 351 21 440 70 00
France BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB SARL Tél 33 0810 410 500 România BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB GYÓGYSZERKERESKEDELMI KFT. Tel 40 021 260 10 46
Slovenija BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB SPOL. S R.O. Tel 386 1 236 47 00 Ireland BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB PHARMACEUTICALS LTD Tel 353 1 800 749 749
Ísland VISTOR HF. Sími 354 535 7000 Slovenská republika BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB SPOL. S R.O. Tel 421 2 59298411
Italia BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB S.R.L. Tel 39 06 50 39 61 SuomiFinland OY BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB FINLAND AB PuhTel 358 9 251 21 230
BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB AE 357 22 677038 Sverige BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB AB Tel 46 8 704 71 00
Latvija BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB GYÓGYSZERKERESKEDELMI KFT. Tel 371 750 21 85 United Kingdom BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB PHARMACEUTICALS LTD Tel 44 0800 731 1736
Tel: +370 5 2790 762