Xiliarx belongs to a group of medicines called ?oral antidiabetics?.
Xiliarx is used to treat patients with type 2 diabetes. It is used when diabetes cannot be controlled by diet and exercise alone. It helps to control the level of sugar in the blood.
Type 2 diabetes develops if the body does not make enough insulin or if the insulin that the body makes does not work as well as it should. It can also develop if the body produces too much glucagon.
Insulin is a substance which helps to lower the level of sugar in the blood, especially after meals. Glucagon is a substance which triggers the production of sugar by the liver, causing the blood sugar level to rise. The pancreas makes both of these substances.
Xiliarx works by making the pancreas produce more insulin and less glucagon. This helps to control the blood sugar level.
Your doctor will prescribe Xiliarx together with certain other antidiabetic medicines which you will already be taking to control diabetes, if one medicine alone is not enough to control your blood sugar level.
Even though you are now starting a medicine for your diabetes, it is important that you continue to follow the diet and/or exercise which has been recommended for you.
|Table of Contents|
|What do you have to consider before using it?|
|How is it used?|
|What are possible side effects?|
|How should it be stored?|
Do not take Xiliarx:
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to vildagliptin or any of the other ingredients of Xiliarx (see section 6: Further information). If you think you may be allergic to vildagliptin or any of the other ingredients of Xiliarx, do not take this medicine and talk to your doctor.
Take special care with Xiliarx:
If any of these apply to you, tell your doctor before taking Xiliarx.
- if you have type 1 diabetes (i.e. your body does not produce insulin).
- if you have moderate or severe kidney disease.
- if you are on dialysis.
- if you have liver disease.
- if you suffer from heart failure.
If you have previously taken vildagliptin but had to stop taking it because of side effects (liver disease), you should not take this product.
Diabetic skin lesions are a common complication of diabetes. You are advised to follow the recommendations for skin and foot care that you are given by your doctor or nurse. You are also advised to pay particular attention to new onset of blisters or ulcers while taking Xiliarx. Should these occur, you should promptly consult your doctor.
The use of Xiliarx in children and adolescents is not recommended.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Your doctor may wish to alter your dose of Xiliarx if you are taking other medicines (such as medicines so called thiazides, corticosteroids, thyroid products and certain products affecting the nervous system).
Taking Xiliarx with food and drink
You can take Xiliarx with or without food.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant should consult their doctor before taking Xiliarx. You should not use Xiliarx during pregnancy.
It is not known if Xiliarx passes into breast milk. You should not use Xiliarx if you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
Driving and using machines
If you feel dizzy while taking Xiliarx, do not drive or use machines.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Xiliarx
Xiliarx contains lactose (milk sugar). If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
Always take Xiliarx exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
How much to take
The amount of Xiliarx people have to take varies depending on their condition. Your doctor will tell you exactly how many tablets of Xiliarx to take.
The usual dose of Xiliarx is either:
- 50 mg daily taken as one dose in the morning if you are taking Xiliarx with another medicine called a sulphonylurea, or
- 100 mg daily taken as 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg in the evening if you are taking Xiliarx with another medicine called metformin or a glitazone.
Your doctor will prescribe Xiliarx together with another medicine to control your blood sugar level.
When and how to take Xiliarx
- Take this medicine in the morning or in the morning and evening.
- Swallow the tablets whole with some water.
How long to take Xiliarx
- Take Xiliarx every day for as long as your doctor tells you. You may have to take this treatment over a long period of time.
- Your doctor will regularly monitor your condition to check that the treatment is having the desired effect.
- Do not stop taking Xiliarx unless your doctor tells you to. If you have questions about how long to take this medicine, talk to your doctor.
If you take more Xiliarx than you should
If you take too many Xiliarx tablets, or if someone else has taken your medicine, talk to your doctor straight away. Medical attention may be needed. If you need to see a doctor or go to the hospital, take the pack with you.
If you forget to take Xiliarx
If you forget to take a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. Then take your next dose at the usual time. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet.
Like all medicines, Xiliarx can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
These side effects may occur with certain frequencies, which are defined as follows:
- very common: affects more than 1 patient in 10
- common: affects 1 to 10 patients in 100
- uncommon: affects 1 to 10 patients in 1,000
- rare: affects 1 to 10 patients in 10,000
- very rare: affects less than 1 patient in 10,000
- not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data.
Some symptoms need immediate medical attention:
You should stop taking Xiliarx and see your doctor immediately if you experience the following side effects:
- Angioedema (rare): Symptoms include swollen face, tongue or throat, difficulty swallowing, difficulties breathing, sudden onset rash or hives, which may indicate a reaction called ?angioedema?.
- Liver disease (hepatitis) (rare): Symptoms include yellow skin and eyes, nausea, loss of appetite or dark-coloured urine, which may indicate liver disease (hepatitis).
Other side effects
Some patients have had the following side effects while taking Xiliarx and metformin:
- Common: Trembling, headache, dizziness, nausea, low blood glucose
- Uncommon: Tiredness
Some patients have had the following side effects while taking Xiliarx and a sulphonylurea:
- Common: Trembling, headache, dizziness, weakness, low blood glucose
- Uncommon: Constipation
- Very rare: Sore throat, runny nose
Some patients have had the following side effects while taking Xiliarx and a glitazone:
- Common: Weight increase, swollen hands, ankle or feet (oedema)
- Uncommon: Headache, weakness, low blood glucose
Some patients have had the following side effects while taking Xiliarx alone:
- Common: Dizziness
- Uncommon: Headache, constipation, swollen hands, ankle or feet (oedema), joint pain, low blood glucose
- Very rare: Sore throat, runny nose, fever
Since this product has been marketed, the following side effects have also been reported (frequency not known):
- Itchy rash
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Do not use Xiliarx after the expiry date which is stated on the blister and the carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture.
- Do not use any Xiliarx pack that is damaged or shows signs of tampering.
What Xiliarx contains
- The active substance is vildagliptin. Each tablet contains 50 mg vildagliptin.
- The other ingredients are lactose anhydrous, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate (type A) and magnesium stearate.
What Xiliarx looks like and contents of the pack
Xiliarx 50 mg tablets are round, white to light yellowish and flat, with ?NVR? on one side and ?FB? on the other.
Xiliarx 50 mg tablets are available in packs containing 7, 14, 28, 30, 56, 60, 90, 112, 180 or 336 tablets and in multipacks containing 336 (3x112) tablets.
Not all pack sizes may be marketed in your country.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Novartis Europharm Limited
West Sussex, RH12 5AB
Novartis Pharma GmbH
For any information about this medicine, please contact the local representative of the Marketing Authorisation Holder:
BelgiëBelgiqueBelgien Novartis Pharma N.V. TélTel 32 2 246 16 11 LuxembourgLuxemburg Novartis Pharma N.V. TélTel 32 2 246 16 11
Novartis Pharma Services Inc. . 359 2 489 98 28 Magyarország Novartis Hungária Kft. Pharma Tel. 36 1 457 65 00
eská republika Novartis s.r.o. Tel 420 225 775 111 Malta Novartis Pharma Services Inc. Tel 356 2298 3217
Danmark Novartis Healthcare AS Tlf 45 39 16 84 00 Nederland Novartis Pharma B.V. Tel 31 26 37 82 111
Deutschland Novartis Pharma GmbH Tel 49 911 273 0 Norge Novartis Norge AS Tlf 47 23 05 20 00
Eesti Novartis Pharma Services Inc. Tel 372 66 30 810 Österreich Novartis Pharma GmbH Tel 43 1 86 6570
Novartis Hellas A.E.B.E. 30 210 281 17 12 Polska Novartis Poland Sp. z o.o. Tel. 48 22 550 8888
España Solvay Pharma, S.A. Tel. 34 93 495 45 00 Portugal Merck, S.A. Tel. 351 21 3613 500
France Novartis Pharma S.A.S. Tél 33 1 55 47 66 00 România Novartis Pharma Services Inc. Tel 40 21 31299 01
Ireland Novartis Ireland Limited Tel 353 1 260 12 55 Slovenija Novartis Pharma Services Inc. Tel 386 1 300 75 50
Ísland Vistor hf. Sími 354 535 7000 Slovenská republika Novartis Slovakia s.r.o. Tel 421 2 5542 5439
Italia Novartis Farma S.p.A. Tel 39 02 96 54 1 SuomiFinland Novartis Finland Oy PuhTel 358 010 6133 200
357 22 690 690 Sverige Novartis Sverige AB Tel 46 8 732 32 00
Latvija Novartis Pharma Services Inc. Tel 371 67 887 070 United Kingdom Novartis Pharmaceuticals UK Ltd. Tel 44 1276 698370
Novartis Pharma Services Inc.
Tel: +370 5 269 16 50