Do not take Varibona 30 mg
- If you are allergic to risedronate sodium or any of the other ingredients of Varibona 30 mg (see section 6, “What Varibona 30 mg contains”)
- If your doctor has told you that you have a condition called hypocalcaemia (a low blood calcium level)
- If you may be pregnant, are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- If you are breast-feeding
- If you have severe kidney problems.
Take special care and talk to your doctor before you start taking Varibona 30 mg
- If you are unable to stay in an upright position (sitting or standing) for at least 30 minutes.
- If you have abnormal bone and mineral metabolism (for example lack of vitamin D, parathyroid hormone abnormalities, both leading to a low blood calcium level).
- If you have had problems in the past with your oesophagus (the tube that connects your mouth with your stomach). For instance you may have had pain or difficulty in swallowing food.
- If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars (such as lactose).
- If you have or ever had pain, swelling or numbness of the jaw or a “heavy jaw feeling” or loosening of a tooth.
- If you are under dental treatment or will undergo dental surgery, tell your dentist that you are being treated with Varibona 30 mg.
Your doctor will advise you on what to do when taking Varibona 30 mg if you have any of the above.
Taking other medicines
Medicines containing one of the following lessen the effect of Varibona 30 mg if taken at the same time:
- aluminium (for example some indigestion mixtures)
Take these medicines at least 30 minutes after your Varibona 30 mg tablet.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Risedronate sodium is not recommended for use in children below the age of 18 due to insufficient data on safety and efficacy.
Taking Varibona 30 mg with food and drink
It is very important that you do not take your Varibona 30 mg tablet with food or drinks (other than plain water) so that it can work properly. In particular do not take this medicine at the same time as dairy products (such as milk) as they contain calcium (see section 2, “Taking other medicines”). Take food and drinks (other than plain water) at least 30 minutes after your Varibona 30 mg tablets.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Do not take Varibona 30 mg if you may be pregnant, are pregnant or planning to become pregnant (see section 2, “Do not take Varibona 30 mg”). The potential risk associated with the use of risedronate sodium in pregnant women is unknown.
Do not take Varibona 30 mg if you are breast-feeding. (see section 2, “Do not take Varibona 30 mg”).
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Driving and using machines
Varibona 30 mg is not known to affect your ability to drive and use machines.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Varibona 30 mg
Varibona 30 mg contains a small amount of lactose.
If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking Varibona 30 mg.